As of the date above, at-home rapid response Covid-19 test kits are still available.
It’s Hispanic Heritage Month at the library!
It’s time for BINGO once again! This time we’re celebrating Hispanic Heritage Month. Join us by stopping at the library for a BINGO card along with the game rules. Follow along on Facebook for the daily clues or check the library’s website (at the end of each week) for a list of the clues that were given that week. There will be four winners of a $5 gift card to one of our local establishments. We’ve learned a lot while setting up this month’s game and hope you will as well.
Hispanic Heritage Month BINGO Rules
- BINGO cards will be available at the library beginning Monday, September 12, 2022.
- Only 100 BINGO cards (all different) are available on a first-come, first served basis.
- Each day from September 15 to October 15, there will be a trivia clue posted at noon to the library’s Facebook page. All clues will remain on the library’s page for the entire month, in case someone is late picking up a BINGO card.
- At the end of each 7-day period, the previous seven day’s Facebook clues will be posted on the library’s website with any final clues posted the last day of the month.
- Participants should research the answer for the clue and check their BINGO card to see if their answer is present. If so, then the Clue Number should be written in that box on the card.
- Any person who writes an answer (correct or incorrect) to a clue on a daily Facebook post will automatically be denied from using that clue to win in the case of a BINGO.
- A BINGO occurs when you have 5 boxes in a row – across, down, or diagonally.
- The four possible ways to win are:
Be the first player to bring a verified card to the library with 1 BINGO in any direction.Winner identified on 9/26.
- Be the first player to bring a verified card to the library with 2 BINGOs in an X or + shape.
- Be the first player to bring a verified card to the library with 4 BINGOs outlining all four sides of the card.
- Be the first player to bring a verified card to the library with all spaces identified with a clue number.
- There are 31 clues available, but only 24 answer boxes plus a FREE Space on a BINGO card. Therefore, it is possible for someone to win before all of the clues have been posted.
- All cards will be verified by checking the clue number written on each box with the master list of trivia answers.
- Only the first person who brings in a verified, winning card will be eligible to select a prize for that level of play.
- Winners will have their choice of a $5 gift card or certificate, while supplies last.
- All winners will be identified on the Facebook page using first name only for each level of play.
- The game will end when all four winners have been identified.
- Only 1 prize winner per household per game, although multiple cards (1 per person) are allowed per household.
- Library staff and their immediate families are not eligible to play.
Clues: Click on the pictures below to see each week’s clues. (Clicking on the image that appears will bring up a larger image.) The weekly clues will be posted every 7 days.
Library Card Sign Up Month has arrived with your chance to win!
September is Library Card Sign-up Month, a time when the American Library Association (ALA) and libraries nationwide join together to remind parents, caregivers and students that signing up for a library card is the first step towards academic achievement and lifelong learning. The Cumberland County Public Library is celebrating Library Card Sign-up Month by giving patrons a chance to win a $25 Walmart Gift Card. There are two ways to win: sign up for a library card during the month of September OR verify your personal information in the library’s circulation system during the same period. To sign up for a library card, you must have a picture ID with an address (most commonly used ID is a driver’s license) and another form of identification (a piece of mail, car registration, voter ID card, etc.) where at least one of the items matches the address given on the card application. Children 6 years of age and older may apply for a card using their parents’ identification. To verify your information for a chance to win, you can drop in, call in, or send an email to the library. You must provide your current address, telephone number and email address in order to be entered into the drawing. If your name has changed, that’s important information to let the library know as well. Each person participating will have a ticket dropped in the fish bowl and the winner will be drawn on Saturday, October 1.
Holiday Art Contest Announced
For a complete copy of the rules and the contest entry form, please click here.
New Fall Activities Planned!
The new fall activities have been set up and the information can be found in this site’s calendar as well as the Cumberland County VA Happenings calendar and on Facebook. In addition, the information will be located in the county’s new Program Guide, which will be distributed shortly. A list of the activities at the library as well as any upcoming closings can be found in the picture below.
Registration required for classes and workshops – even to get the Zoom link information for hybrid classes. Fees are required for some activities.
Community Events Calendar now available for Cumberland County
Cumberland County now has a calendar of events and activities for residents to check to see what’s going on. There are 12 sub-calendars which feed into the main Cumberland County VA Happenings interface.
- Cumberland County
- The county’s Parks & Recreation Department
- Cumberland County Public Schools
- Cumberland County Elementary School
- Cumberland Middle School
- Cumberland High School
- Cumberland Dukes’ Athletics
- Bear Creek Lake State Park
- 4-H/Cumberland County Extension
- Delma’s Pantry/Cumberland PATH
- Cumberland County Public Library (and its Friends of the Library group)
The 12th calendar is called Community Events and is maintained by the library for community organizations, churches and local groups to share details about their special activities, events, and fundraisers. It is not designed for things that occur regularly each week. Anyone who wants to get their items on the calendar can complete the online event form located here or send an email to the the library with all pertinent event information to firstname.lastname@example.org.
To access the Cumberland County VA Happenings calendar, you can click here or on the picture above to see the posted activities. Be sure to bookmark the calendar while you are there!
Cumberland County Public Library is pleased to be an affiliate with Dolly Parton’s Imagination Library. County residents now have the option to sign up their children to receive free books through the program. Sent directly to the child at the address on record, books are mailed monthly to registered youngsters from birth to the age of 5.
Cumberland County residents who wish to register their children for the program have several options. They can register online at https://imaginationlibrary.com/usa/find-my-program/ using the locality’s affiliate code “VA – Cumberland County” or they can enter their household zip code to locate the program. A registration form can be downloaded by clicking on the image to the left. Residents can also pick up a registration form at the library at 1539 Anderson Highway, Cumberland VA 23040.
Classes, Events and Activities at the Library
Classes, events and activities are once again being planned and offered through the library. Check out our Classes/Events Page here.
Mobile Office Hours for US Representative Bob Good VA-05
Lisa Kyle, the Field Director for US Representative Bob Good (VA-05) will be holding mobile office hours at the library on the first Thursday of each month from 9 AM to 11 AM. Community residents who wish to discuss policy or have issues that require Rep. Good’s assistance should plan to visit the library and talk with Lisa during her monthly visits.
Please excuse us as we continue to update our webpage!
We want to make our website more user-friendly and provide you with the information you need.
Do you have any suggestions? Please let us know!
Thanks for your help and your patience!