As of 9 AM on Monday, July 6, and until further notice, the Cumberland County Public Library will be open to the public only for copying, faxing, printing and/or limited use of a library computer. Please call ahead to make an appointment, as space inside is limited due to social distancing requirements.
Please keep the following in mind:
- Computers are available for 30 minutes at a time and may be extended to 1 hour if no one else is waiting. Hand sanitizer is required before using a computer.
- Masks are encouraged, but not required, unless computer help is needed.
- Browsing for DVDs, books and audiobooks is prohibited at this time. Place holds on items you want by using the online catalog or giving us a call. Items can be picked up at the back door after you have been notified that they are ready.
- No library classes or activities inside the library are planned at this time. A virtual Summer Reading Program is currently being held. See website for details.
- Use of the public meeting room by all groups is cancelled.
- The volunteer program is currently suspended.
- The password for the wireless router at the library has been removed and open wireless access is available 24/7 on CCPL. It can be used from both parking lots. If you decide to get out of your vehicle, please maintain proper social distancing and do NOT block any of the doors with chairs or power cords.
- All returned items (books, DVDs, audiobooks, etc.) should be placed in the silver book return at the back of the building. Items will be sanitized/quarantined for 3 days before they are checked into the system. Fines will be voided as long as the item was not already more than 2 days overdue at the time it was placed in the drop box.
- Renewals can be handled through the library’s online catalog and by phone or email. Calls will still be made about all overdue materials and letters sent, as in the past.
Contact the library at (804) 492-5807 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information or for further assistance.
New Library Trustee Needed
The Cumberland County Public Library’s Board of Trustees is looking for a new trustee to fill a vacancy announced on Monday, June 29, 2020. The Trustee Application, which includes the duties and responsibilities, can be accessed at the link below. Interested individuals can send their applications to the library by: USPS mail to PO Box 98, Cumberland VA 23040; by email to email@example.com; or by dropping it off at the library or in the bookdrop. The next meeting of the board is Tuesday, July 14, 2020, at 2 PM at the library.
It’s time to register for Summer Reading!
Cumberland County Public Library is gearing up for Part 2 of its 2020 Summer Reading Program.
Click on the blue link above to register for this year’s Summer Reading Program. Completed activities for Parts 1 and 2 may be submitted through Monday, August 3, 2020. For more information on the program itself, visit the Summer Reading Program page.
Help the local Girl Scouts by completing this survey:
Local Girl Scout Troop #5201 is seeking input on multicultural books for a Bronze Award project. Please help them by clicking the link below and completing their survey.
Free Online Magic Show!
Check out the Amazing Mr. B by clicking this link and entering the password below.
In addition to the free books on the front porch, there are now free magazines available in the back entryway of the library. A wide variety of issues are available. Please drop by the library and pick up free reading materials, including People, Good Housekeeping, Better Homes & Gardens and National Geographic. When you’re finished with them, pass the magazines on for someone else to enjoy.
The AARP Tax Service will not be returning for the current year, due to risks associated with not being able to be socially distant while preparing returns. Those who still need to get their taxes done should seek out a qualified tax professional.
Curbside Pickup resumes on Monday, June 8, 2020!
You can place Holds on materials using the online catalog (located here) or call us at (804) 492-5807 and tell us what you’d like to have (specific item(s), specific author(s), or even a list of topics for non-fiction). In addition, during business hours, there are patron request forms located in the back door foyer to fill out as well.
When your Holds are ready to pick up, you’ll be notified by email, phone or text (whichever is set up for your account). Once you’ve been notified, drive to the library and call to let us know you are here. You’ll be asked to verify your library card number before any items will be checked out to you.
Change from regular policy: Since we are sanitizing and quarantining all returned materials for three (3) days before checking them in, you will only be able to take out one (1) DVD per library card at a time and there will be NO renewals of DVDs at the current time.
Not all new materials will be available on June 8. If it does not show up in the catalog, you can place a Hold on it by calling us or by filling out a patron request form. We’ll let you know when items are ready to be picked up (i.e., after they have been added to the system).
Library cards will be needed at checkout from this point forward. If you need a replacement card, the fee is $0.50 and can be paid at the time of item pickup.
Beginning today (May 8) and every day that someone is at the library (usually Monday through Friday from 9 AM to 5 PM), there will be a cart of FREE books on the library’s front porch. This will continue until we reopen the library to allow patrons to check out books again and while our supply of materials lasts.
The books include children’s, juvenile, young adult and adult fiction and non-fiction, including large print editions. We might be a little late putting it out some days, but just knock to remind us! Take whatever you want and pass them on to someone else when you’re finished with them. Hope you find something you like!
E-books and e-audio are available through the Library of Virginia to CCPL patrons. For more information, go to e-books and e-audio.
Please excuse us
as we update our webpage!
We are updating our website to make it more user-friendly and to provide you with the information you need.
Some screens may be blank temporarily as we add new pages or change/update existing pages as well as the information they contain.
Do you have any suggestions for our new look? Please let us know!
Thanks for your help and your patience!