The Library Card
“I have found that the most valuable thing in my wallet is my library card.” – Laura Bush
How do I get a library card?
- Residents and non-residents of Cumberland County are eligible to apply for a library card.
- Patrons requesting a library card must present proper, valid identification with the current mailing address. If the address on your ID is incorrect, patrons will be asked to provide a secondary source for proof of address. The secondary proof of address must also identify the patron’s name. Suggested proof of address include but are not limited to utility bills, passports, mail, etc.
I already have a card, but I have damaged/misplaced/lost it. Is there a fee for replacement?
Yes, there is a fee of $0.50 per card to replace your library card. Patrons will be asked to update their accounts and verify their mailing address and email every 3 years.
Types of Library cards
- Youth Cards
- Patrons must be 6 years of age to be eligible for a library card.
- Youths ages 6 through 17 must have a parent/legal guardian signature on file to receive a library card.
- Parents shall complete a library card application for their child and provide proof of identification (refer to above library card requirements).
- Patrons shall be adjusted to Adult status and gain full borrowing privileges upon their 18th birthday.
- Adult Cards
- Adult cards have full borrowing privileges, once past the probationary period, and are issued to adults ages 18 and older.
- A completed library card application and proper identification are required for obtaining a library card.
New Patron Probationary Period
- A new patron is in a probationary period until 6 weeks have passed. New patrons are restricted to a total of three items on their card at any one time, to include not more than one DVD.
- Once 6 weeks have passed, and patrons are in good standing (no overdue materials and no fines) are eligible for full borrowing privileges with standard loan limits.
Uses of the Library card
- “With a public library card in your wallet, you have access to the Internet and a world of opportunities.” – Bill Gates
- You can check out up to 50 items but only to include no more than 3 DVDs per adult card.
- Free access to all the library’s online resources (browse this website!).
- Some organizations within the community and outside the community offer special privileges for library card holders (just ask them!)